Tampa Bay Car Accident Attorney
The Paulsen Law Group Has 15+ Years of Experience
You never thought a car accident would happen to you, but now that it has, what should you do? This can be a very confusing and difficult situation, especially when a negligent driver is the cause of the collision.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim?
Like all states, Florida has a statute of limitations set for personal injury cases. This statute of limitations sets a four year limit, meaning you must file your personal injury claim within this time period or you may lose your right to file a claim for your injury.
While four years can feel like a long time, it's important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible as there may be important evidence or documents that should be gathered quickly. Hiring an attorney can have many benefits and can give you time to focus on recovery while we focus on winning you the compensation you deserve.
Common Injuries & Damages in Car Accident Cases
Auto accidents occur every day and many of them result in serious bodily injury. The following are some of the injuries that commonly occur in automobile accidents:
Neck and back sprains
Injuries to shoulders and knees
WHAT DOES A CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER DO?
When you are injured in an auto accident due to someone else's negligence, the effects can be devastating. From physical and emotional distress to financial hardship, it is important to seek help from a knowledgeable car accident attorney who can provide guidance on how best to proceed with your case. A good car accident lawyer will not only fight for the compensation you deserve but also offer support throughout the entire process. Below are some of the ways that a car accident attorney helps automobile crash victims get justice and recover financially.
- Gather Evidence: A car accident attorney may gather evidence to build a strong case that shows negligence on the part of the driver who caused the crash. This includes gathering medical records, official reports from law enforcement, witness statements, photos and videos of the scene and damage to vehicles involved in the wreck, as well as any other relevant evidence.
- Negotiate with Insurance Companies: When filing an auto accident claim against another party’s insurance company, it is important to have a knowledgeable lawyer on your side who can negotiate a favorable outcome for you. An experienced car accident attorney will know how to properly handle negotiations with insurers so that you get maximum compensation for your losses.
- Represent You in Court: If negotiation efforts fail and an agreement between parties cannot be reached through settlement talks or mediation, then it may be necessary for your car accident lawyer to take legal action by representing you in court proceedings if needed. Your attorney will present arguments on your behalf to support why damages should be awarded and represent you during any trial or hearing related to the case if necessary.
- Help Navigate Legal Requirements: Each state has different laws governing auto accidents claims which can make figuring out what rights you have and what steps to take a daunting task. A car accident attorney can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that all legal requirements are met.
Types of Car Accidents We Handle
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic event regardless of the seriousness of the incident. In most cases, auto accidents result in serious and devastating injuries to drivers and passengers.
Our accident lawyers in Dunedin and the Tampa Bay Area have experience in many types of car accident claims so that you can rest in the knowledge that your case will be handled effectively and efficiently once you partner with us.
We handle car accident cases including, but not limited to the following:
- Red-Light & Stop Sign Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- Texting & Driving Accidents
- Dangerous Road Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Drugged Driving Accidents
If you believe that you have a case for an injury claim due to negligence, contact Paulsen Law Group for more information and to seek compensation!
What to do After a Car Accident in Florida:
- If you were injured in an accident, immediately seek the medical help you need. Your well-being is of the utmost importance.
- Next, document all that you can about the incident, but only if it is safe to do so. Take pictures, record details, jot down notes and gather contact details from the involved party. All of this information can be helpful when supporting your case. If you didn’t happen to record the information or take pictures, don’t panic.
- Next, contact us and discuss what happened. There is no charge for your case evaluation. In fact, there are no fees whatsoever unless we win and recover compensation.
How Does No-Fault Insurance Work in Florida?
If you intend to drive a vehicle with four wheels in the state of Florida, you need to be familiar with Florida’s no-fault auto insurance law. The law requires that a driver purchase and carry an auto insurance policy.
Insurance policies must contain two specific types of coverage:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Everyone who owns a registered motor vehicle in Florida is required to carry a minimum of $10,000 in PIP coverage. PIP covers you, your family, and other individuals riding in your car that are injured in an accident, regardless of who is at-fault. This coverage includes crashes involving pedestrians, bicyclists, and children injured on school buses. If you miss time from work because of your injury, PIP will pay up to 60 % of your gross average weekly wage for the time you lose. PIP also provides up to $5000 in death benefits.
- Property Damage Liability (PDL) – Florida drivers are also required to carry a minimum of $10,000 in PDL coverage. PDL covers any damage that you, a member of your family, or any other covered individual causes to another person’s property while driving your vehicle. PDL will not, however, pay anything for damages that your car may have sustained. Although the state of Florida does not require drivers to carry insurance that covers their own vehicle, it may be advisable to do so.
Effective January 1, 2013, several reforms to Florida’s No-fault Auto Insurance Law took effect. Some primary changes to the law include:
- Initial Treatment – People with injuries must seek medical treatment within 14 days of a car accident.
- Type of Treatment – The treatment people choose will depend on the extent of their injuries
- Emergency Medical Treatment (EMC) – The full medical benefit of $10,000 is available for emergency treatment provided by ambulance, at a hospital, or from a physician, supervised physician’s assistant, dentist, or advanced registered nurse practitioner. For non-emergency treatment, the medical benefit is $2,500. Although non-emergency treatment can be given by any provider, massage therapy and acupuncture is not reimbursable through PIP. If follow-up to medical care paid for by PIP is required, a referral from a physician, osteopath, dentist, or chiropractor is required.
Unlike most states, Florida does not require drivers to carry bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage, which covers the cost of the accident-related injuries of others when your car is involved in an accident. BIL coverage can pick up where PIP benefits leave off to help cover expenses.
We're ready to hear from you. Contact Paulsen Law Group today to schedule your free consultation.
Ridesharing Accidents: Are You Protected?
Whether you have been in an accident involving Uber, Lyft, or any other type of ridesharing company, it is important to know what your rights are as far as compensation is entailed. At Paulsen Law Group, our car accident lawyer can represent your rights in these types of cases and work to get you the financial compensation that you deserve.
Because of their massive size and the material they carry, commercial trucks are capable of causing extensive damage to other vehicles and drivers on the road if operated in an unsafe manner. Unfortunately, major transportation companies are in the business for profit, and will often make decisions to increase the bottom line that may jeopardize the safety of others.
However, this is never an excuse to put others at peril of serious injury or death. Trucks drivers and their employers are under a strict set of state and federal regulations and when they fail to abide by them, they should be held fully responsible.
Paulsen Law Group Handles the following types of truck accidents:
- Negligent Hiring: Truck companies are obligated by a reasonable duty of care to hire qualified and safe truck drivers. This means they are obligated to do their due diligence in performing required background checks, drug and alcohol tests. Negligent hiring occurs when a trucking company fails to do their due diligence and hires unsafe drivers who then go on to cause an accident and injury. Negligent retention also occurs when a truck driver has been employed by the company for some time, and the trucking company should have known their driver was incompetent or driving dangerously.
- Examples of Failure to Maintain: Without the proper maintenance, there are many ways a big-rig truck could be affected. It may involve anything from engine problems. For example, commercial trucks are required to have reflector tape on the vehicles, which gives drivers in other vehicles a better visibility of the truck, especially at night. When these reflectors are dirty, worn out, or missing, it could lead to an accident. Other examples of failing to maintain the vehicle includes: Braking failure, Failing to inspect lights, reflectors, brakes, or parts, or Exceeding mileage or hourly limits.
- Why it's so Important to get Medical Care After an Accident
- 4 Common Mistakes People Make After a Car Accident
- Proving Fault After a Car Accident
For more information or to get started on your free consultation, contact us today!
We can help you if you suffered any of the following injuries:
Let Our Tampa Bay Auto Accident Lawyers Represent You
Any and all injuries sustained in a car accident can be painful, expensive, and troubling to endure. You shouldn’t have to pay for another's negligence. Nor should you have to stand up for your rights alone.
When you choose to enlist our supportive assistance, you can be confident that you will receive the personalized and effective legal solutions that you deserve. We genuinely care about your well-being and will go the extra mile in order to exceed your expectations. The moment you walk through our firm's doors, we will review your case, address your concerns, and guide you down the path that best suits your needs.
We will fully educate your about your rights, legal options, and about the laws surrounding your case. Our mission is to help you make every decision an informed one. As such, we will walk with you every step of the way and help you successfully navigate through the complexities of the legal system with a sense of ease and confidence.
Get the help you deserve today and call our Tampa car accident attorneys today for a free consultation.