With the holidays and Black Friday quickly approaching, the number of shopping-related injuries increases dramatically. Shoppers flood retail floors looking for the perfect gift at the lowest possible price. For most people shopping during the holidays, the idea of sustaining an injury while at their favorite retailer is so far from their mind. Unfortunately, due to longer hours, and higher demand from customers for assistance, some store owners fail to keep their premises safe or warn shoppers of hazards that could injure them.
Common holiday shopping injuries
- Slips and falls – The winter months bring rain and snow, which means slippery floors and torn carpets. Store owners are responsible for adequately warning the customer of wet floors and doing what they can to prevent injury.
- Shopping cart injuries – Shopping cart injuries occur to children or other adults caught in their wake. These injuries can occur when shopping carts tip over. This is more likely to occur during holiday months due to heavier shopping cards.
- Head injuries – To prepare for the high holiday demand, shop owners order more stock than normal. Often this stock is piled high at the top of shelves or stored in the warehouse. Workers and shoppers alike report injuries from falling stock during the holidays.
- Trampling Injuries – Crowds excited to get the latest and greatest thing, race to the door of retail stores often knocking down or trampling other shoppers in their quest for the best deal. Trampling injuries could include broken bones, sprains, and head injuries.
- Parking lot injuries – During the winter months, snow and ice can form in the parking lots of shopping malls and other retailers. It is the responsibility of the property owner to properly maintain the premises during this time to prevent injuries. If you were injured in the parking lot of a business, you might be eligible to file a personal injury claim.
Were you injured while shopping?
If you were injured while shopping, the skilled Clearwater injury attorneys of Paulsen Law Group can help you get the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. Give us a call today to schedule your consultation.